Bed Sizes & Mattress Dimensions – King, Queen, Double & Single Bed Size
A human body cannot function without sleep. Sleeping is a vital part of human life and is your main break after a long tiring day. It plays a major role in good health and well-being throughout your life. Sleeping refreshes the brain and other parts of the body and ascertains a fresh start every morning.
Lack of sleep effect our bodies in many ways like making us lethargic, may cause depression, gaining of weight, insulin levels. It also effects the way our brain functions and as a result hampers our efficiency at work and even deteriorates our decision-making skills. Furthermore, visible problems with learning and memory can also be seen.
You may think that your dark room with a soothing music will lead you to your dreamland and help you to have a sound sleep. But do you know that it’s also the bed in which you sleep that affects your sleep quality? Since everyone is different, they have different needs for their comfortable sleep. Hence, different components associated with sleep should be sorted very carefully.
Which bed to choose?
A comfortable bed is an important factor in getting a sound sleep. Normally people do not think much about their beds especially as long as it has soft and thick casing. But the size of the bed or mattress should also be given a thought before buying.
People generally makes mistake in choosing the correct size of bed for them as many times they end up buying too small bed. So before going out for shopping, you need to ask yourself whether you are satisfied with the amount of sleep space in your current bed and review the mattress sizes below to ensure that you purchase the right bed size. Let us go through the different beds and mattresses that are readily available in the market:
Types of Beds:
- Single Bed: It is the mattress of the smallest size present in the market and is excellent for a single person. These mattress measures roughly 39 inches wide by 74 inches long. However, a taller person may find it a little uncomfortable in sleeping on this bed size. Because of its narrow design, twin size beds are the best option for the small bedrooms. Single beds can be used in children’s rooms or for guest rooms.
- Single XL Bed: Twin XL Beds are approximately 39 inches wide by 80 inches long − about 6 inches more in length compared with a single size mattress in measurement. This makes it ideal for people who are tall.
- Double Bed: This type of mattresses is roughly 16 inches broader than a single size mattress. It is designed to sleep two people. But you should note that it does not provide adequate extra space for two persons to sleep at ease. It may prove to be too small in size for people whose height is above 5’5”.
- These beds are 54 inches in width by 74 inches long in measurement. This type can be chosen for children who are maturing.
- Queen Size Bed: These mattresses offer extra width compared with a double size mattress that allows two persons to sleep comfortably. Queen mattresses are the most popular mattress size these days. These mattresses measures 60 inches in width and 80 inches in length − 6 inches broader and 6 inches more lengthy than a double bed. It will be a ideal selection for rooms for guests or couples.
- King Bed: These beds are the broadest among all types of beds. Couples who need a lot of space for sleeping may opt for this mattress. King size mattress is 76 inches in width and 80 inches in length − approximately is equal to the size of two single XL beds taken together. This bed should also be considered if you are sharing your bed with someone. Because of their big size, these beds need additional space and are best for large bedrooms.
- California King Bed: The dimensions of these beds are 72 inches in width and 84 inches in length and are perfect for those who want extra long bed. This bed is thinner by 4 inches compared with a king bed, but at the same it has 4 inches more length that is why very tall people who need extra length can purchase a California King.
- California King bed size provides each person an additional 6 inches width compared with a queen bed. The additional length it offers also makes it a good option for adaptable beds that offers long space.